Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

THE PERSIL AWARDS 2012

 So last Wednesday, the Persil awards happened! Sorry about the late posting but I have been snowed under with work and just managed to locate my camera! The awards took place in the cafe at Dunnes Stores this year and I have to say, I was blown away by the standard of the designs.
 Last year's theme was red and this year it was all about the white. Students from Limerick School of Art and Design and National College of Art and Design submitted pieces in their hundreds but there could only be eight - and what an eight! I was impressed by the standard of work and the imagination that went into the creations. Again, this highlights what I have been saying for months on this blog - we need more chances like this for young designers. We need to support them with more events like this, more college degrees and better MA courses and we need to start buying. Producing work like this is all fine and well - but designers are nothing without buyers and support. Nothing shows support like buying a quality piece of work and taking a break from supporting the high street.
 Some of the work produced came from Deborah Twomey, Sinead O' Brien, Michael Power, Hannah Furlong, David Murray, Roisin Fallen Byrne, Emma Considine and Siobhan Moran. I loved the above design - in fact the two designs that I loved the best were the two designs with a splash of blue. I loved the faded blue effect on the skirt above - what I loved about it was that I could see myself wearing it. In fact a lot of people at the event said the same thing about this design - they could really see themselves wearing it. I loved the simplicity of the design and the cut was fantastic.
 This was the winning design by Hannah Furlong. The NCAD student won €10,000 and the coat from the outfit has been made into a piece available for purchase in Dunnes Stores for €50. I've tried it on (see the below photos) and it really is gorgeous. It's very reasonable at €50 as well.
 This was the piece I wanted to win! I love capes and I loved the splash of blue on the inside of the cape which appears at the back of the piece. It was again, incredible simple but so effective. Often the best design is simplistic because its the piece that we can recycle for each season. I think the days of shoppers looking for pieces which reflect a particular season or trend - are gone. In my opinion and my eight years of experience - shoppers want something which stands the test of time and can be worn again and again. The best pieces in my wardrobe are not faddy but simple pieces I can really wear.
 There was a sporty feel to most of the pieces as students took inspiration from fencing, badmington and tennis.  With the Olympics in London this year - its not just the bigger designers who are feeling the sports influence creeping into their clothing. I mean if even Victoria Beckham has sporty pieces in her collection then you know its trend.

 That gorgeous cape again!  I want it!
 So this is the winning design - reproduced in red. What do we think? I love it. In fact, I wish I wasn't off to London as it will no doubt be long gone by the time I get back. I wish I had thought to get it while I was there!
It goes really well with my outfit - which was a total accident - I had chosen to wear a high necked frilly cream blouse from Awear with skinny jeans and high wedge boots. I had my usual red lipstick on as well which matches the jacket! What makes the design for me is the almost cross shape of the coat. I am glad they reproduced it in red though as white is tricky for white blondes and I drop an awful amount of food!!!! No doubt the first time I wore it would be the first time I drop a glass of red wine - I don't even drink red wine but I'm sure I'd find a way!

Congratulations to all the students who competed in the show. I look forward to next year!

Jacket by Hannah Furlong available at Dunnes Stores €50

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar